test

Loving Father?

 Sometimes we explain why people don't get an answer to prayer with the reasoning that "God already answered them" or "they already know", I was thinking about this, I've wondered sometimes if that's why I don't get answers and as I thought about it I realized those explanations bother me. We believe God is a perfect loving father, here’s a metaphor to show why the above bothers me. As an imperfect father, if my son came to me every day and asked me if the sky really is blue or any other question, I would answer him honestly almost every time. As an imperfect father I might get annoyed and remind him I answered him before. If my son was deaf I certainly wouldn't use words to answer him, I would use sign language. If my son was across the room I wouldn't whisper I would talk louder. If my son had been disobedient I wouldn't just ignore him. So, if I'm imperfect and I would nearly always answer my child, wouldn't a perfect loving father answer every time, no matter how annoying it got, no matter how disobedient they are, no matter how hard of hearing they are? If god is a perfect loving father then it doesn't matter how many times you ask if the church or BOM is true, he should answer every time, and if you have sin in your life he should answer louder so you can hear.  

God is just and merciful, so I wonder how important it really is to be LDS and keep the commandments, if he won't answer people when they are desperate then how can he judge them for keeping or ignoring the commandments? That's not very just to give a bunch of commandments through a guy who looks more like a conman than a prophet and then ignore people when they start asking questions but still judge them for not keeping those commandments. So a perfect judge also wouldn't condemn someone for leaving a church that they had reasonable reasons for doubting. I guess I just don't believe someone who really loved me would ignore me just to test my faith. Especially when my earthly happiness and eternal salvation are supposedly on the line.  

So, I don't believe in the Mormon God, or the Christian one. I don't know one way or the other but I sure have a hard time believing in a loving father that won't ever answer any of my prayers. 

 

In scripture and conference we've been told God is like an earthly father, but that he loves us perfectly, so I don't think these thoughts are unreasonable.  

"the thing God enjoys most about being God is the thrill of being merciful, especially to those who don’t expect it and often feel they don’t deserve it." - https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/general-conference/2020/10/57holland?lang=eng  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments will be published unless they reveal personal identifying information about the commenter or the author.